Welcome to Our Little Eco Steps blog
I can't quite remember exactly how, why or when I started trying to live more sustainably. I would love to say that there was one particular spark. I could say I've always been aware of it, and probably been relatively environmentally conscious for a long time but, with hindsight, I think my efforts were more half-hearted (at best). I was recycling, bought some things secondhand, and was using things like a reusable water bottle, reusable coffee cup and I have cotton tote bags that are probably 15-20 years old. But I wasn't very strict about when I would take these things out and about so I would say it was more that I had these rather than regularly used them. Then I had my little boy and that certainly seemed to make me more eco conscious. I started using cloth nappies and reusable breast pads. Less than a year after having him, we were plunged into a world wide pandemic, which spurred me on even further. Then I started documenting my efforts on Instagram, which has led me to this blog!
It's becoming increasingly difficult to ignore the impact that we have on the planet. Whilst I don't believe that the buck stops with the individual (there is a LOT that companies, governments, organisations etc need to do better), I do think there are actions that we can take to lessen our impact, and it makes me feel better to think that I am doing something.
And that's the thing - doing something.
I am not perfect in this journey but I'm a believer in the world needing more people to take what steps they can and maybe doing it imperfectly rather than a handful doing things perfectly (paraphrased from Zero Waste Chef / Anne-Marie Bonneau).
All those steps add up and (to mix my metaphors) create ripples both in our own lives and those around us.
So I'm intending this blog to be about my experience of trying to be a more eco friendly parent and sharing some of the information that I have found useful along the way.



Awesome post. I think things started in a similar way for me. Doing little bits here and there just because. Finally starting paying more attention and trying to be more conscious in my choices. ��
ReplyDelete